ALL YOU WANT OF LIFE; EVERY DREAM, EACH WISHFUL BLISS, IS WAITING... TO BE CREATED.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Desktop Flip Calendar

I can make calendars even though it's February, right?
One month doesn't really matter...

Okay, so I made two calendars last week, remember?  Only... one was for 2011, and I thought I should give one to my mother-in-law since she gave me the idea.

That left me with nothing.
Then I was cleaning up some old stuff and found an old flip calendar

Inspiration struck yet again...
I came up with this beauty:
Oh, so cute!
And easy... took me under an hour.  Here's how to do it:

Materials Needed:
Old flip calendar
(really I only used the black piece of cardstock and the plastic twirly thing at the top that holds it all together)
1 - Pink paper measuring 2 3/4 x 5 1/4 "
1 - Pink paper measuring 5 1/4 x 3/4"
3 - Pink paper flower punchouts
1 - Printed quote paper measuring 2 1/2 x 5"
1 - Printed quote paper strip (just one strip of the saying - mine reads "Life...enjoy the ride..."
3 - Brads
Hole Punch

Here's How:
Take the calendar apart - you need the twisty thing at the top and I used the backing - a high gloss black cardstock page.

Cut the black cardstock in half, so you have two pieces that are 5 1/2 x 8 1/2"

Take one of those pieces, and measuring from the top (with the holes), score the paper at 3", 5" and then 8"
Then fold on the score lines.
It should look like this:

Now take the other half of the black paper, and cut it in half, leaving you with
2 pieces measuring 2 3/4 x 8 1/2"

Then take each of those pieces, and cut them in half again, leaving you with
4 pieces measuring 1 5/8 x 8 1/2.

You will then cut each of those pieces into 3'rds (am I losing you?)
It should look like this:
So I had 4 strips, and I cut one of them into 3rds.

This will leave you with 12 pieces measuring 2 1/2 x 1 5/8" 
(You should have a little scrap of paper left over from each strip, but don't throw it away).

Now, you will need to ink all of the edges to your pink and printed quote paper.
I used black ink.

While those are drying, use a hole punch to punch holes in the black pieces that don't already have them
(you should have 4 that are already punched)

Next, attach your pink and printed paper together...
Pink on black, then
Print on Pink

Then your small saying will go on top of the pink strip (I placed mine near the bottom).
That strip then lies near the bottom of the larger papers.
It should look like this when finished:

Now you are ready to attach it to the calendar.
You will put it on the surface just under the 1/2" crease, like this:

Now put some tape or glue on that 1/2" flap, and attach it to the back side, just under the holes, like this:

The calendar should stand upright, and the front face should be curved, while the back is straight.

Once that is finished, you can start putting the black twisty thing back through the holes.
Remember to attach your 12 black papers as well.  I put mine 3/4 - 1" from the side:

Go ahead and cut the curly thing to fit your new calendar.

Now, remember those tiny scrap pieces that you had left over from the black paper?
Use 3 of those and cut out some cute little flowers  (or whatever punch you have)

Then cut out 3 flowers from your pink paper, to shadow the black ones.
Use 3 brads to stick them together.

And stick them to your calendar - positioned however you think looks the best:

Now it's time to print your calendar.
I tried for a while to make my own on Microsoft Word using a table, but my space was too small.
I ended up just printing the table with the month names, and I wrote in the rest.

I printed them on coordinating paper, and then cut them out.

Then stick them to your little black flaps:

And You're Done!


As my husband would say...
This is definately the cutest thing I've made all day!

I must admit that it looks pretty wonderful sitting there on my printer...

No comments:

Post a Comment