ALL YOU WANT OF LIFE; EVERY DREAM, EACH WISHFUL BLISS, IS WAITING... TO BE CREATED.

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Basic Pajama Pants - Tutorial

Cannon was dangerously outgrowing his pajama bottoms.
You know, to the point that they became capri's?
Yeah, not so cute for boys to be sporting that sort of thing.
I made him these:
Before I begin I should say that I am quiet certain that I don't do things the 'proper' way.  
Especially when it comes to sewing.
Anything I can sew you can sew better.
These instructions are mostly for me, but hopefully might help someone else as well.
 
Here's How:
I didn't have a pattern, so I started with a pair of shorts that fit him.
I also didn't have a large piece of fabric.
I made the blue pants with 4 long scraps of fleece.
I started by laying out his shorts.
Using a white colored pencil, I marked a straight line down for the leg.

Be sure and leave some head-space at the top,
which will be used for folding over the elastic.
Also, do you see how the edge of the shorts don't line up with the left edge of the fabric?
You will want to pull the elastic waist tight, so you can determine how much extra room you will need.
When the shorts are pulled tight, they line up with the left side 
(I left an additional 1/2" on the left side for seam allowance)
Now you'll want to find the seam on the shorts.
Fold the shorts in half and make the seam just visible.
It should look like this:

Mark along that line.
(Do you see how the fabric curves in towards the waist?
Draw a straight line to the top of the fabric, to compensate for the elastic).
 

Again, I was using strips, so I layered this piece of fabric on top of another one - right sides together.

Pin them together...
and cut them out.
Now, pin another two pieces of fabric together (right sides touching).
Flip this pattern over (so the pins are touching the table), and trace this same pattern for the other pieces.
Once they are both cut out,
You should be left with something like this:
Sorry to switch up fabric, I forgot to take a picture of the blue ones.
Each leg should be 2 pieces of fabric (either folded along the outer seam, or if you were using scraps like me, they will be cut on all edges.

Now, with the right sides still touching, pin along the outer edge of the pants.

Now sew the outer edges together.
Unfolded, they should look like this:

Fold them back over (right sides together), and pin the inside leg portion.
The right sides of the fabric should still be together, so you can see the seam on the outside still.

Sew from the point (near the crotch of the pants), down to the opening of the leg.
It should look like this:
If you haven't already, trim the edges close to your seam line.
Fleece won't fray, so you don't have to worry about that.

You should have two pieces that look the same as when you started,
only now they are sewn together.

Turn them right side out (so you can't see the seams).
 
Now lay one side on top of the other, so the pieces match up.
This is a really horrible picture, but you should have 4 pieces of fabric lined up.
The middle two are going to be what you sew together:


Pin them together from the top of the pants, down to the center of the crotch.
It should look like this:
 

You can pin the other half of the pants as well, but I think it was easier to sew the seam when only half of it was pinned.
Once you get to the middle, it should look like this:
 
Now just fold the remaining half together and continue sewing.

When finished you should have this:


When you take the shorts used to measure, and match up the crotch areas, you should have more space at the top to sew on the elastic.

Cannon didn't want to cooperate, so I used his shorts as a guide for how long to make the elastic.

I cut mine about an inch longer after tracing the inside of the waist.
Then I layered the edges and sewed the strip together.

Next, line up the seam of the elastic with the back of the pants (they should be the same, so just pick a side).
Overlap about 1/2" of fabric and pin in place.

Stretch the pants to determine where the elastic will fit on the other side, and pin that in place.
Then do the same thing for both of the sides.
You should have 4 places pinned.

Then, start sewing a few stitches where you secured the elastic to itself, just to hold the fabric in place.

Now that it is secure, pull the pull the elastic tight so it will match up with the length of the fabric.
Start sewing:

Continue to pull the elastic and you sew all the way around the waist.

You will eventually be left with this:

Now, fold the elastic down over itself, to cover up the seam you just made.

Pin it in place (I pinned in 4 places, just like before).

Now start sewing the finishing seam (you should be lined up right next to the seam you just made).
Continue to pull the elastic tight as you sew your way around the waist again.
 

You should be finished with the waist after that.

Now determine how long you need your legs to be, and cut off the extra (because I was using fleece, I didn't need a seam allowance).

I just sewed a line around the bottom of each leg.

And then you're done!
Only, I wanted a little something extra on mine.

Do you ever find yourself throwing out a shirt, because your kid slobbered all over it and the neck line turned yellow?  Well I have a couple of those.

I found one with a cute design, and cut it out.

Then I pinned it to the side of my pants, and sewed a line around the outside.

Then I cut around the stitching I just made, leaving just enough space for it to fray after being washed.

I also made a few stitches along the side of the '2' and the '5', just so the fabric would stay in place.

Then I made him a second pair of pants.
He was mostly excited about his football pants, though.

I think they turned out pretty well.

Happy Crafting!

1 comment:

  1. Those really are super cute. You amaze me at how much you do! I am literally like, oh, too short, lets go to target and see whats on sale! I need to get better at being crafty...I will follow your blog so that i can learn to be as cool as you!

    love ya!

    ReplyDelete