ALL YOU WANT OF LIFE; EVERY DREAM, EACH WISHFUL BLISS, IS WAITING... TO BE CREATED.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Leak Proof Bibs



For all of those who know me and my family you know that Lincoln is a compulsive drooler.
Now that he is approaching his 2nd birthday, I have given up on the hope that it is just 'teething'.
Oh well.

We have gone through a LOT of bibs - and he always manages to soak through them and get his shirt all wet.
So I fianlly decided to make him some leak proof reversible bibs.
And they were all made from things lying around the house!

Here's How I did it:
I took some of his old bibs that were stained and weren't very thick...

And I cut off the finished edge.
I was left with two pieces.

Then I took some of his old shirts that were stained or torn,
as well as some old levi's (because I hear they don't stain very easily).

To make them leakproof I used some 'waterproof material' that I made by fusing plastic bags together.

I used the old bib as a pattern and cut the fused plastic bag, levi and old t-shirt to match.
** One piece of fabric I made larger than the other so I could wrap it around and make a border for one side.

Then I layered them:
Levi, old bib, waterproof, t-shirt.

I sewed around the edge, then folded the t-shirt over and sewed around again to make a border.
I ended up sewing some sort of design in the center of each so it would hold all of the pieces together better.

I finished them off with snaps, since I dislike the kind that tie, and I HATE the ones with velcro (they always stick to everything else when I wash them...)

The levi I let fray, because I thought it would look cool.
I also wanted to prove that these are completly able to survive the washer and dryer.

I think they turned out perfectly!

And so far they have managed to do their job!
No leaking!

So if your child is always soaked like mine USED to be, I would highly recommend these!



No comments:

Post a Comment