ALL YOU WANT OF LIFE; EVERY DREAM, EACH WISHFUL BLISS, IS WAITING... TO BE CREATED.

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Headboard Makeover

I have always always always wanted a really cool bed.
My husband has never never never wanted to pay for one.

So... when my sis-in-law asked if I wanted a king sized head and footboard (for free), I was ecstatic.

I also had no idea what it would look like.

When it came (thanks again, Risse), I realized it was not exactly what I would have picked out myself:

It sat in my house for weeks, as I debated over just putting it together or trying to redo everything.  Mostly I debated over the amount of work it would take.

I finally just took the plunge.

After tearing it apart, stripping it down, putting it back together again and giving it a fresh coat I came up with this:
Pretty cool, hu?

I really wanted a tall headboard, and didn't really care for a footboard.
I loved the straight top of the fb, but hated the curved hb.
So I decided to turn the fb into the hb.

Here's how I did it:
 I started by unscrewing the molding from the top of the hb, and chipping away the design in the middle of each bow.

Then I took the fb, and broke the legs off.


This is the fb without legs:

Then I broke the legs off of the hb as well:

And it was left looking like this:

The top curvy piece was removed next:


I then took the fb, and put it on top of the hb, so I could see what it would look like (tentatively), like so:


It was going to have to be repainted or stained from all of the demolition, so that came off next:




Once the stain was removed, I sanded everything, and had my brother and cousin put the pieces together and install the new legs.
 


I decided on cream.

Some day I will (maybe) get around to putting a few coats of black glaze on it to bring out all of the cool lines.
But that will have to be when I have my own garage, instead of using my parents.

Even so, it is pretty amazing to me.
I absolutely love it!


5 comments:

  1. That's awesome!! I love when old things get a new life. It would be lovely to have the knack for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're amazing. I wish I had the guts to do something like that! And it turned out fabulous. *sigh* one day I'll have a nice headboard like that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing is an understatement! WOW, I cannot believe you did that! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just found this blog, Michelle. And, wow--that turned out so great! You're amazing.

    ReplyDelete